Saturday 24 December 2016

Day 98, Post-Op 'Twas The Night Before Blues: Saturday, December 24th!

The cost of a thing is the amount of what I call life which is required to be exchanged for it, immediately or in the long run. -Henry David Thoreau, naturalist and author (1817-1862)


Up at 6:30 am, having slept straight through the night. We left the curtains to our cell-like alcove open so that the minuscule space Ms Tinsel has us wedged  into, forced to inhabit by imperious decree, remained a perfect temperature for sleep! I digitated away until The Sisterhood was up and about and after Ayn treated us to another of her simply divine scrambled egg/fried sausage and pepper topped taco breakfasts, Chloë and I took off for Big Lots for the final bit of stocking stuffer shopping. Found exactly what we were looking for so after the very successful outing we headed back home. Once there, I immediately suited up and was on the road by 12:30 pm. 

What a glorious day! Sun was shining brightly so I really needed my shades! Wind was fairly strong, (21 kph out of the north), but I was in no real hurry as I simply wanted a "stretch" ride for tomorrow's assault on Santa Susannah Pass Road. This being the case I wheeled along, enjoying the day and the quiet bikeway. Few pedestrians, more cyclists, in fact. At any rate, just after crossing Mason Ave I was passed by a chap and noticed, in the same instant, some flashing lights, about a block ahead, on Victory, the blvd which the bikepath parallels, at this point. Became quite clear, as I rode closer, that there had been an accident and a number of people, police officers and civilians were gathered around a car that jumped the curb and wide bikepath, crashing into the green metal fence which runs along the dedicated busyway, flattening three or four of the linked panels. 

The side of the car was a mess, crunched completely, so I wondered what might have happened to the driver and any passenger on that side. I did notice a woman with a bandage over the bridge of her nose as I inched by. I wasn't sure if I would be allowed to proceed past the damaged vehicle but nobody stopped me so I proceeded. However, chap who had passed me earlier had elected to ride on Victory to avoid scene and then stopped after he was past to lift his bike over the shrubbery on the blvd to regain the bikepath. This allowed me to catch up with him and as we rode, side by each, I mentioned that I had always thought one was safe on the bikeway. He laughed and said he was always a tad nervous on this particular stretch as he had seen a number of accidents here, mainly as a result of excessive speed. I noted that I had witnessed many such examples of drivers, weaving in and out of traffic, at breakneck speeds, on the few errand runs I'd made since arriving



Anyway, we continued to chat, and exchanged names. Wole, (I thought he said "Wally" when we introduced ourselves!), Williams is from Nigeria and a behavioural therapist. Lovely, lovely man. When I told him I'd be leaving this coming Tuesday he said he'd be interested in riding together on Monday, if that might work, so using a dental toothpick he found in his wallet he "wrote" his telephone number on an old business card from an auto dealership. We had stopped on the corner of Canoga, by the major bus interchange there, and none of the people waiting there that we asked had a pen! We had a good laugh at our efforts to exchange numbers!


His arrival was foretold in the ancient murals.
After I said I'd phone him, once home. (I had simply forgotten that I was carrying Lady Dar's cell! Obviously, I could have punched his number into it and we wouldn't have had to worry about our otherwise laughable efforts.), we said goodbye, he making for Costco for a hot dog, and I to ride to Devonshire. Bit of a slight slog there as it is a slight uphill grade and head wind was breezy. Nevertheless, most enjoyable as the day was so glorious and chance meeting with Wole absolutely delightful.

Soon found myself on the last section, Brown's Creek, and no long after, where it  intersects with Devonshire. Turned around quickly and started back, more than enjoying whistling along now, the grade and the wind on my side. Even received a few early Christmas presents as I made many of the lights, either invoked by other riders or pedestrians, or in a couple of cases by the buses on the busway. Had to do a kilometre or two once back on Erwin, not for distance but rather to try to push my AVG to 15 kph. Managed to do so on the straightaway there and when I pulled up at the front door Ayn was just back from walking Winston so she let me in. Stats and Map for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1494732042#.WF_tIeiU3k8.email

Hi Kathleen and Stefano, (and Zoe/Matt)! How lovely to hear from you and learn of your exciting plans for sabbatical and more! We have known about Zoe and Matt expecting twins, (Wow! Wow! Wow!), for a bit, (on the quiet, as these things go), but what wonderful, wonderful news indeed. Then the extended stay in Vancouver. I know Lady Dar is actively looking and listening for any sign or whisper of a place that might fit your requirements, as far as accommodation goes, in terms of location, etc., so trust something will come up. Thanks for the lovely Christmas and New Year's wishes! Gather you are both well and obviously not too, too frazzled in the days before Christmas, [You are already tucking into turkey, you lucky sods, and Yes, Virginia, your description immediately triggered the fondest of fond Australian Xmas memories!], but rather enjoying the season with its myriad festivities and family gatherings.

Had a terrific drive down to LA, visiting and staying with friends , along the way. Not sure if you heard, via social media, that we enjoyed a terrific lunch/visit with Amos and Pat, in SF, when we were staying in Berkeley. They will be attending reunion as well. Certainly look forward to seeing you both in Vancouver and Penticton. Unfortunately, we will be in Europe, (if all goes as intended), when you first arrive. Until then, take care of each other. Must away as I need to start peeling the turnips for the puff I'm contributing to the pot-luck in Simi Valley. Ms Tinsel Tyrant has assigned specific times for each of us to work in the small galley kitchen so if I don't use my allotted 30 minutes and 23 seconds, (her stopwatch starts ticking shortly), I lose my precious spot in line-up! Fondestos from Lady Dar, an island of calm in this cheek-by-jowl, wave-tossed sea of emotions!   Happy Christmas to you both, and Jess, of course, [as well as to Robyn and Nickos], and a Healthy New Year to one and all! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hey P, Steve here really impressed and pleased with your hipcovery. Keep sattling up I'm sure you'll be hardass again in no time. Thanks for twins wishes, we're hooped. Michele and  Wayne have offered their place for April while they travel, it's just fantastic of them. We have a Craigslits posting for extended time, but just new so hope between all feelers something will show. Thanks for your networking. Hot Christmas Day here, going to.N n R's for lunch. Love to yours - saw Chloe's flight path on FB, love to her too and Ayn - saw Pierre's prostrate portrait, hope he's up n about. Love you all. S 

Dear, Dear Friends and Family! Happy Christmas & Primo Wishes for a Healthy New Year, to one and all, wherever this missive finds you, coming express delivery, from Tinsel Town, fondesto greetings from Pierre & Ida, Alex & Samantha, Ayn & Winston, Chloë Alexis, Corinne & Patrizzio!

Thank you--loved it & you too!  Thank You Pat - Happy Holidays to you and Corinne Hi Patrick, Thank you for the delightful card. I love the Labradors and of course especially the creamy one! Jim and I send our best wishes to you and Lady Dar. Merry Christmas! See you on the hikes in the New Year! Merry Christmas. I hope you have a happy and healthy holiday season. Cheers Hello, Patrizzio! Thanks for the tres anglaise card. Have a great holiday season! Deborah

Wishing everyone a beautiful holiday season. Our precious gifts this year: baby Reuven and big brother Declan❤. May you and your families experience a healthy and content 2017. Love from the Schmanders Family (Declan's name for our Schneider/Miller/Sanders household!)

Hi Maya and Famiglia Schmanders! How lovely to receive your delightful Christmas card, both hard copy, via Chloë, and moments ago, on-line! Thanks for the lovely Christmas and New Year's wishes! Gather everyone is well and obviously not too, too frazzled in the days before Christmas/Hanukkah, but rather enjoying the season with its myriad festivities and family gatherings.

Certainly look forward to seeing you, at some point, in the not to o, too distant future, either in Penticton or on the Sunshine Coast. Until then, take care of each other. Happy Christmas/Hanukkah to you, Maya, and David and Reuven and Declan, and a Healthy New Year to one and all! Cheers, Patrizzio!

  
G’day Pat and Corinne (and Ayn and Chloe!), Just a short note to wish you all a merry Christmas and a safe and happy New Year.

I will be back in Canada on 18th Jan and flying up to Kamloops on the 19th (hope to catch up with Sarge and Michelle on the night of the 18th). I’ll be in touch early in the New Year about the possibility of a visit in my time there; the only spanner in the works is/are the ongoing health issues of elderly parents. If Tina’s Mum continues to deteriorate then I will probably cancel all or part of my ski trip – hopefully it won’t come to that. Loved the fact that you ate the dog’s dinner Pat – must have been really hungry – you not the dog! As a good friend of mine is wont to say – Fondestos to all! Tina and Trevor


Hi Trevorino and Teens! Thanks for the lovely Christmas and New Year's wishes! Trust everyone, (other than elderly parents, unfortunately/sadly), is well and not too, too frazzled in the days before and after Christmas, but rather enjoying the season with its myriad festivities and family gatherings. Glad you were entertained by my "mistake" regarding dog food! In fact, it was absolutely delicious so I usually try to sneak some whenever Ayn's back is turned! Thanks for dates of your ski trip. Do hope the health issues you mentioned will not figure in itinerary but that remains to be seen, of course. We would certainly love to see you, either in Sun Peaks or here in Penticton, if that might work.

A dress in chintz
Photo: Hugo Maertens/Wikimedia
Certainly look forward to seeing you, Trevorino. Sorry that Teens won't be over this trip. Fortunately, we didn't buy a live Christmas tree this year, knowing we'd be away, so no need for help in planting one, Shovel Woman! Until then, take care of each other. Fondestos from Lady Dar. Happy Christmas to you, Teens and Trevorino, and family, and a Healthy New Year to one and all! Cheers, Patrizzio!


Stats and Map for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1494732042#.WF_tIeiU3k8.email



Thanks for the get well greetings and wishes Patrick! After 60+ years of skiing I finally was the patient in the infirmary and got a feel of what that is like! Not really much fun although I did not use the Entonox (nitrous oxide pain killer gas mask) which we keep there for severe pain. My pain is somewhat less although significant in my right ribs which took the brunt of the landing force from the air born fall. Oh well there is no fool like an old feel as Shirley keeps telling me. Now I’m basically sitting around home unable to ski or hike or shovel the driveway for that matter! She is not too happy about that either! I have always tried to teach her how to use the big gas driven snow blower which makes short shrift of the big snow falls but she would have none of it. So she went out and bought a smaller electric snow thrower which is about the same work as using a shovel! So I’m trying to make up for it by doing more of the cooking and other chores but its somewhat awkward on crutches. Now I have a tiny idea of what you must have felt like after your operation….not fun but you have to make the best of it right!

It looks like you are enjoying your Christmas vacation with family and cycling in California…..good for you and it will help with your rehab for sure. A very Merry Christmas and many Happy New Years ahead for you and your family Patrick! Cheers…Kilian

Merry Christmas!! Hi Pat, I just saw that you sent an e-Card, thank you.  I'll look/listen to it when I get home from my Mom's house tonight. Wishing you and Corinne and your girls a very Merry Christmas!! Sar Thx Patrick and corinne, We'll see you soon in Feb and all the very best for a great new year. Gill and Phil How very nice Patrick thank you! Thanks for the lovely card... Merry Christmas to you all! Louise and Henryk Definitely superior to the one I sent you and Corinne! / Kjell Hello there Patrizio! Thanks for the E card, but again, can’t read it. Merry Christmas to you and Corinne! (pat the cats for me) Cheers! Joan


Wonderful, white wishes from our winter wonderland in Summerland. Jos, Aart and Barend hi all, I just got back from a job in southeast Asia, so slowly easing back in to winter. I'm planning to go for a hike or snowshoe up in the hills behind our place for a couple of hours Boxing Day morning, so if anyone is interested in doing that let me know. I haven't seen any other hikes posted yet for Monday. It's just enough snow for some light snow showing, or hiking is possible too. Our address is 3099 Evergreen Drive, Penticton (straight up Pineview off South Main). If anyone is interested, let me know, I can also meet you down at Home Hardware at 9 and you can follow me up. cheers and merry Xmas, Norbert 
 
Dear Patrick and Corinne and family, Thank you for the cheery wishes, much appreciated. We had a great trip to Cuba followed by the dreadful flu (we had the shots), with the added complication of pneumonia for me. Still recovering. We will have our family here New Year's Day 'cause they are either working Christmas day or in Mexico. Gives me time to recover. Will spend tonight at my brother's in Surrey along with my mom and a few other family members. Merry Christmas and happy new year. Bruni and Tony 
 
Dear Waterwheel Petit Verdot, Bruichladdich Barley 2004 Warrabilla Durif, Aren't you also known as Pat Dunn, "the Okanogan Noggin"? Anyway, Thank you for sending us your thoughtful Christmas message, as per/via, and according to Ms. Jacquie Lawson. After 17 years of experience looking after our yellow lab Peg, Sally and I will always love and respect labrador retrievers as a truly beautiful breed of dog. "Fondestos", as you say. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and your darling, beloved Cora. F & S

Hi Patrizio!
All the best to you Patrick and Corinne! See you in 2017! First of all, so glad you are up on the bike and doing so well. However, bit of a time with my upper back. Seeing the chiropractor and hopefully a full recovery by the time we head to Phuket in Feb. Either way I will be out of chiropractor funds so wish me a speed(ier) recovery.  

Tonight is our Christmas-Hanukkah celebration with Chad & Marnie and last night with Jeremy before he heads off for his new adventure in Nova Scotia (tomorrow) We are both still in denial and refuse to accept the fact we may not see him in these parts for quite some time. Of course, planning our trip out East this June to see him. I will miss him, especially during the winter season when we watch/discuss the NBA (basketball).

However, wishing him all the best on this new adventure but will certainly miss also him (and his wonderful organic veggies). Speaking of missing people – we are playing bridge with Legs and Gladys Knight next Wed and will certainly miss your innovative bidding. Will say hi on your behalf.  
 
All the Die Hard movies are great, and yes one of the classic Christmas movies. Our family Christmas favourite is National Lampoon Christmas Vacation with Chevy Chase and the gang. We are watching later today before the classic chicken, salmon and Susan’s famous, and my favourite, mashed potatoes. Susan will no doubt use cooking and getting the dinner ready as her excuse to miss the movie AGAIN. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you, Lady Dar and the rest of the clan this festive season. Look forward to seeing you folk again soon! Charlie Thanks for the card Patrick. Are you in town at some point over the holidays? I seem to remember a passing reference to collecting Scotch $. Have a great holiday and we hope to see you soon. Cheers....Paul 
 
 Patrick; Thank-you for the Lawson card and I wish you a most merry Christmas and all the best for the New Year. I look for to seeing you on the hiking trails. Regards Chuck Lovely card!! The Merriest of Christmases to you 'all'! What a blessing to have so much family gathered for Christmas. I'm sure Penticton is very pretty with snow right now. Looking forward to your visit in Courtenay in Spring/Summer. Love & Peace, Lynette

Back at you!! In Palm Desert staying at brother, Wayne's place on PGA West, at 16th hole, in La Quinta until tomorrow morning. Pretty swanky digs! Dropping brother, Robin, at Palm Springs airport. Cheers, Maggie & Frank����😎��� Thanks Patrick. Merry Christmas. Cheers Tony Thanks Young Pat for the beautiful card. One is on it's way , but I think when you mail on Dec 22 they rarely arrive for Dec 25.. I hope you and the entire family have a wonderful holiday and that 2017 is kind to us all... Cheers and best wishes... Merry Christmas Bill
 
 
Thanks for the Christmas wishes, love to all in LA. Wishing we could all be together. We are going to church tonight and waiting for Greg, Cody and Dustin to arrive from the city. They are predicting a big storm to hit Manitoba Christmas and Boxing Day, so driving may be a problem. Having a dinner together with George, Barb and the girls on Dec 27. Have a great Christmas! Love Pam, Clara and Dusty



No comments:

Post a Comment