Tuesday 20 December 2016

Day 94, Post-Op Back in the Saddle Again Blues: Tuesday, December 20th!

Every creature is better alive than dead, men and moose and pine trees, and he who understands it aright will rather preserve its life than destroy it. -Henry David Thoreau, naturalist and author (1817-1862)

Season's Greetings from the Naramata Bench Wineries Association

Lazy sleep-in until 7:00 am this morning as Winston's mistress was talking loudly enough to wake people in apartment building across the way! Simply gorgeous weather, 22.2ºC or 71.96ºF. 
[Ayn P Came home to my Dad polishing off Winston's homemade dog food...#feedyourparents You need to buy Ayn a label maker!!!! Would make a very funny stocking stuffer!!!!  Patrick James Dunn Make fun of me if you like but when you are starving to death, (Nothing but hardtack and water in LA!), you will eat practically anything! Furthermore, his container of food looked like overlefts from a dinner a few nights ago so how was I to know! In addition, I thought it was a fair trade as Winston has been licking my toes ever since we arrived. Don't no why but I needed shower while in Tinsel Town! Nana Mouskouri trying to teach him not to nuzzle my feet! 
Bright and sunny when I started out, around 1:45 pm. Thought I might have dressed too warmly at the outset but the wind was fairly constant, out of the north at around 21 kph, and in the shade or after the sun started to drop, the air cooled off and I was glad I had a number of layers on. I decided I'd re-familiarize myself with the dedicated bike path which runs along the Orange Line Busway, the Metro Liner route. Knew, from past experience, that it was almost completely flat so a very easy ride. Didn't really want anything too, too difficult, on my first ride since September 5th, when I rode the KVR trestles out of Kelowna, for my new, left hip, replaced on September 14th. 


Loved being back on the bike again and I certainly enjoyed the perfect cycling weather. Only went as far as the intersection of Victory Blvd and Topham St where I turned around and retraced my earlier route. When I reached Balboa Blvd I rode counterclockwise around the golf course there, (On way out I had ridden through the park there, skirting the small lake/pond and then riding, clockwise, on the perimeter of the golf course), before making for home. Had about 48 km on the clock when I reached Woodman so I continued to the end of the dedicated bike lane, about 1.5 km further along.

I wanted to log at least 41 km before I stopped at the local Mexican barber, Cachorro's, where I've had my hair cut a number of times on past visits. However, two ahead of me so I decided I'd go tomorrow morning, at 9:30 am, when place opens. Then I'll head out on my ride. Hope to make it all the way to Northridge where I'll re-explore best route to the bottom of Santa Susannah Pass Road. I'm hoping I'll be able to ride to Simi Valley, that way, on Christmas Day, as we are having dinner there! I'll have to balance the turnip puff casserole I've been charged with making, on my handlebars! Stats and map for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1490493122#.WFnUVS-XXFE.email
 

[Stephen Carthew VanNuys nice n flat for cycling?
Patrick James Dunn
Patrick James Dunn Flat as a proverbial flap-jack! Santa Susannah Pass is another kettle of kangaroos, however! Elly Cornelius Great to see you on your bike again Patrick!! 🚴🏻🚴🏻🚴🏻🚴🏻
Patrick James Dunn
Patrick James Dunn Thanks Elly! Lovely to hear from you. Will celebrate New Year's with Flamin' and Sarge!]  


For dinner, Ayn's delicious chicken stir fry and afterwards we drove to Atwater Village, a lovely part of the city, not far from Hollywood, to see BOTH A Hard Days Silent Night, a rock opera of The Christmas Story told through the music of the Beatles. Saw it a number of years ago and it was truly spectacular. 
 
Whole gang of friends and relatives attended so it was fun to see some people we've not seen in a few years. Musical was simply stunning, yet again. Seems to get better and better and better! Phenomenal voices, both soloists, back-up singers or in ensemble/chorus. Actors donate their time and production is pulled together in just two days of rehearsal. All the money raised goes towards a children's charity here in LA, so a terrific cause and a truly tremendous way to get in the spirit of Christmas.                                              Hello Dearest Depressed Democrats! Thanks, again, for the wonderful, wonderful visit, brief though it was, [for us though, probably not for you!]and the unbelievable dinners! What feasts!!! As well, the hearty lasagna breakfast and delish sammies held me in good stead for many, many miles, so thanks, as always, for all that. 
 

Thanks again, Donna Florida and Prickly Pear, for your ever warm, ever more than generous hospitality. Lovely to see you both. Fondestos from Lady Dar, watching The Young and The Useless, as I scribe. Will be in touch before we head north, [Tuesday, December 27th to overnight in Redding.], and, all things going well, we plan to be back in Vancouver, on the 29th for three nights with Flamin' and Sarge, before back to Penticton on January 1st to be reunited with Etta and Duke! Happy Christmas/Happy Hanukkah to you both and a Healthy New Year! All the best. Cheers, Patrizzio!
 


Pics: Shasta by Lady Dar! Thanks for snap, Donna Florida! Finally discovered my camera under the back seat once we'd unloaded car in Los Angeles. Snap of my bike after giving it a good scrub. Need to find a car wash soon as our vehicle is so dirty that at the moment one has to be careful getting in and out or else one's clothes are at risk! Lady Dar, exhausted after road trip! Winston, Pierre Xavier and Ayn!

Hello Emissaries of Democracy, Beacons of Hope to Lost American Comrades, Yes, lovely to have you both among us during this time of Bi-coastal Grief. Glad to hear you arrived at your southern destination unscathed. Merry X-mas to the family. Turns out David's friend Jim and wife Christine will be making an appearance and overnight stay we believe on Dec. 27 at the Villa Vicente Guest House. Assume you are planning to do a 10 hour long haul to Redding on that day? But letting you know the happs. There is of course always room with Boris and Natasha downstairs in an emergency. Or the living room floor, believe you have toughed it out a time or two before at that location...Look forward to our next encounter whenever that may be! Hugs, N & D

Hi Reservation Desk Clerk and Pastry Chef! How lovely to hear from you and how considerate! Certainly more than generous, even if proffered accommodation is little better than what Christ Child had to make do with. However, rather appropriate, given season! Dear, dear Boris and Natasha will have to wait, I'm afear'd, as we must needs wend northward without much ado, as I know you appreciate. Thought you might enjoy attached van Gogh, given our latest art history lesson, as it happened to come today with an on-line subscription I receive. Cheers, Patrizzio!

The parable of good Samaritan
Art: Vincent van Gogh
Pics: Before musical performance with Ayn's workmates/friends, lovely people we have come to know as well. Rae, wife of Ayn's cousin, Rick. Both are Canadian, (She is from Vancouver, he is originally from Winnipeg.), and we will join about twenty people, for Christmas dinner, at their place in Simi Valley. Stage of Both. Christmas rum!

Hi Patrizzia and The Grumpster! Sorry we missed you, Patrizzia, but enjoyed our visit, brief though it was, with Mr Grizzle!  Lovely to see you Dyspeptic Dave. Fondestos from Lady Dar, watching The Young and The Useless, as I scribe. Will be in touch before we head north, Tuesday, December 27th to overnight in Redding so, sadly, unfortunately, won't connect again, this trip. Happy Christmas to you both, Katie and Susie, and to Catalina, as well. Healthy New Year to one and all! Cheers, Patrizzio!




dear Patrick and Corrine, how are you both, I hope all is o.k. well I imagine its pretty cold where you are its just as bad here today its 41, and you can't do much because its too hot. xmas day will be 33 so that's good whats happened this year, not a great year, I chucked in the gym last year and took up cycling, I was riding 20 klms every day then one morning I wasn't watching where I was going and hit the gutter, cracked 2 ribs and 6 weeks off so I went back to the gym. bev is doing fine and the kids are o.k. so we would like to wish you a merry xmas and a healthy new year and keep in touch take care bev and kev
 
Hello Emissaries of Democracy, Beacons of Hope to Lost American Comrades, Yes, lovely to have you both among us during this time of Bi-coastal Grief. Glad to hear you arrived at your southern destination unscathed. Merry X-mas to the family. Turns out David's friend Jim and wife Christine will be making an appearance and overnight stay we believe on Dec. 27 at the Villa Vicente Guest House. Assume you are planning to do a 10 hour long haul to Redding on that day? But letting you know the happs. There is of course always room with Boris and Natasha downstairs in an emergency. Or the living room floor, believe you have toughed it out a time or two before at that location... Look forward to our next encounter whenever that may be! Hugs, N & D

 

No comments:

Post a Comment