Thursday 22 December 2016

Day 96, Post-Op Chloë Wings Her Way to Tinsel Town Blues: Thursday, December 22nd!

What do we live for, if it is not to make life less difficult to each other? -George Eliot (pen name of Mary Ann Evans), novelist (22 Nov 1819-22 Dec 1880) 


Up at 7:30 am, rudely startled awake to the sound of smashing glass! MS Tinsel Town had somehow dropped one of the boxes containing two of the Poplar Grove wine glasses we had brought for presents for Los Horridos! She redeemed herself, however, making an absolutely scrumptious breakfast, for Nana Mouskouri and I, fried egg and bread, topped with crispy bacon! Needed it as I was off to ride to the bottom of Santa Susannah Pass later in the day.

Bit of light rain much of the morning so I digitated until about noon and then I suited up. Was ready to roll by 12:30 pm and by then sun was shining and a fair bit of blue sky was visible. Wind was out of the south today and certainly not as strong, by a long shot, as it had been yesterday so only had to fight a head wind of about 13 kph when I was making into it. Followed the same route, exactly, as yesterday, although there were numerous large puddles, a result of last night's steady rain, I presumed, on the bike path which circled the Balboa Golf Course. Still, not really an issue as they were only an inch deep at most, many even shallower than that. However, since I don't have any fenders, I imagined I had a skunk marking on my camel pack! On the other hand, one of the wonderful benefits of the rain was that there was that there was a glorious smell of Eucalyptus in the air whenever I passed these magnificent trees or raced over the masses of their fallen leaves and bark strewn across the bikeway.

Felt terrific, [Must say that my left hip feels wonderful, although my bottom is a tad sore as have not had enough rides yet to toughen it up!], as I cycled past Parthenia, the street where I'd turned around yesterday. My memory served me well and I soon found my way at Lassen Street where the "official" Busway dedicated path ends. One needs to take a slight jog to connect with the next bike path which runs along Browns Creek. I followed it to Devonshire and then turned west onto this surface street. There is a marlked bike lane here so felt very comfortable as I made my way the two blocks or so to Topanga Canyon Blvd. Past this intersection, Devonshire is relatively quiet and I made my way to Valley Canyon Blvd which I knew, from past experience, would take me closer to Chatsworth where I would double back to Topanga Canyon to take the sidewalk to the very bottom of Old Santa Susannah Pass Road. 

Before that, however, I needed to make a number of dipsy-doodles, first through the speed bump laced parking lot of Chatsworth Park North, where a busy craft market was taking place, to Farralone Ave which I thought might  would take me to OSSPR but didn't. Asked a lady, standing on her driveway, if road would lead me there and she confirmed it wouldn't so I made my way back to Chatsworth and was immediately reminded that this was route I'd taken in past. Pleased I'd scoped out the route, basically as I'd remembered it, I road back along Topanga. This is a very busy arterial route, without a dedicated bike lane, at this point, but I only had a few blocks to travel before I could return to the "safety" of the side streets so not really a big deal

Was soon back on Devonshire and its dedicated bike lane and retracing my earlier route. Although I was making into the head wind for most of the return leg, the grade is slightly downhill, at least on the long stretch parallel to Canoga so I whistled along. More pedestrians and cycists about so I was able to make many of the lights without having to touch The Dreaded Burning Ground, Dear Reader, to initiate  signal change! Given my recent return to a free-standing bike, I didn't want to risk anything silly that might compromise my hip, or worse, so had abandoned, from the very first ride, that I would have to accept this cruel fact. Most of the lights along the bikeway take forever to change as there are usually three, or even four, sequences to allow both right and left hand turns before bikes/pedestrians can cross. On major intersections the wait is interminable, unless one happens to arrive there at the same time as a bus. In this case, many of the signals are triggered to allow the bus priority and one can hitch a ride, so to speak, and cleverly, craftily, deftly, adroitly, cannily piggy-back across the intersection. 

Just before 4:20 pm, Woodman Ave came into view and once on Erwin, I needed to ride a short distance, past Ayn's apartmento, along this street. After making a loop around a school in the middle of the block to I had the distance I wanted for the day and pulled up at the front entrance. Couldn't have been happier with how I felt and was just as pleased with reconnoitre. Weather forecast for Christmas Day looks to be sunny and cool so am hoping I'll be able to make the trek to Simi Valley. Cheers! Stats and Map for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1492571931#.WFyNlnyA5Y4.email
  
Found Lady Dar busy making dinner, Winston sleeping in front of the gas fireplace. Ayn had already left for LAX to collect Chloë so after I made myself a mug of java, I made a large mixed green salad and prepared a bottle of oil/vinegar dressing, with minced, fresh garlic and Colman's dry mustard, using an empty Coffaro wine bottle for the container! Quick shower and change and I was able to enjoy a glass of wine before Xavier arrived. He was joining us for dinner before pulling his security shift at Sound Nightclub, "a splashy DJ-fueled club with rotating art installations, bottle service & street-food-inspired bites."

The Two Sisters arrived shortly thereafter, (Traffic was horrible!), and once we and Pierre welcomed and greeted Chloë, everyone sat down to a delicious dinner of marinated salmon steaks, (from Ayn's fabulous Armenian butcher), Lady Dar's more than tasty rice with spinach and pine nuts, dusted with flakes of Parmesan, and my aforementioned salad. Plenty of Coffaro, (Agua fría only for Xavierino, due to driving and work ahead.), to wash this wonderful fare down. After Pierre had to leave, we sat down to watch Die Hard. I hadn't realized that it was a "Christmas" movie until Chloë reminded me:

New York City policeman John McClane (Bruce Willis) is visiting his estranged wife (Bonnie Bedelia) and two daughters on Christmas Eve. He joins her at a holiday party in the headquarters of the Japanese-owned business she works for. But the festivities are interrupted by a group of terrorists who take over the exclusive high-rise, and everyone in it. Very soon McClane realizes that there's no one to save the hostages -- but him.

This was, I think, the first time that I became aware of Alan Rickman as an actor, and he was certainly a brilliant villain, as Hans Gruber, a German mastermind and the leader of the terrorists! As far as the rest of the series goes, this first film actually stands up. At any rate, not a candidate for Hallmark's Countdown to Christmas!

Hello Kids! Simply wonderful to see everyone at BOTH: A Hard Days Silent Night! Lovely to meet you Mandy. I'm sorry I didn't say goodbye, after the fabulous musical, Glenda/Tahramy and Jennifer Juniper/Royster, as I wanted to wish everyone a Happy Christmas and a Healthy New Year. Fondestos from Lady Dar, reading a book she will be giving to some unsuspecting relative for Christmas, as I scribe! Take care of one another. Trust our paths will cross again, in the not too, too distant future. Cheers, Patrizzio! PS: Rae, please forward to Kathleen as Ms Tinsel Town has shortbread dough on her fingers and refuses to pick up her phone until Winston licks them clean! 

Hi again, Amos! You are obviously texting too, too much! Nevertheless, glad you are enjoying your company. Busy here as well. Bit of light rain this morning so I'll have to wait a bit. Weather is supposed to improve towards noon so I'm hoping I'll be able to set our earlier than yesterday. The Sisterhood will head out to Costco for Xmas supplies as soon as Ayn's whipped shortbread, [Recipe is from Flamin': 1 cup of butter, 1/2 cup of icing sugar, 1 1/2 cups of flour, whip for ten minutes and then bake @325ºF for 14 minutes. When the bottoms start to turn a toasty brown, cookies are ready!], is out of the oven. I want to hit Ross and Target for more stocking stuffers. With exchange rate we brought all of the large gifts with us!

Chloë flies in later today. Lady Dar will prepare dinner while Ayn and I head to LAX to collect Vancouverite. Cheers, Patrizzio! Chloe Alexis Dunn was travelling to Los Angeles, California from Vancouver International Airport.· Let's get this Christmas Vacation started!!!! Ayn, Corinne, Patrick, Alex, Pierre, Samantha, Ida!!!! 😎🎉
 

Colleen Teahan Waldron
Colleen Teahan Waldron YAY!!!Have fun and send our ♡ to all!!!
Chloe Alexis Dunn
Patrick James Dunn We have been on Christmas vacation since a week ago today so you'll never catch up, Chloë Alexis. Furthermore, Winston wants you to sleep on the couch, thus I suggest you ready yourself for the Mean Streets and Tough Canine Love

We will head north, [Tuesday, December 27th, (Chloë flies back to Vancouver that day as well.), to overnight in Redding.], and, all things going well, we plan to be back in Vancouver, on the 29th, for three nights with Flamin' and Sarge, before driving to Penticton, on January 1st, to be reunited with Etta and Duke, our new kittens! (A neighbour is house/cat sitting for us.)

Dear, dear friends, All our very best wishes to you over Hanukkah and into a
Healthy New Year! Fondestos and Warm Love from Lady Dar and Patrizzio!


Patrick, Enjoyed reading your account of your travels. Hope the sun comes out and stays out do that you can put more miles on your bike. Hello to Corinne. Merry Christmas and all the best in 2017.

Hi Pamela! Thanks for the Christmas wishes! Sun isn't really shining, sky often quite overcast but pleasantly warm, so no real complaints when riding, and not out on shopping forays. How is the snow in Naramata? Fondestos from Lady Dar. Take care of yourselves. Practice your bidding on-line, over hols! Happy Christmas to you, Pamela, and William, and family, as well as a Healthy New Year to one and all! Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Bike locker; outdoor fridge; tree and presents; Xavierino with Mom and Aunt Chloë! Target for stocking stuffers and then Macy's, which colour?

I will be unable to hike or snowshoe (or ski) for awhile…..yesterday I hit a big block of ice at Apex (left from snowmaking) It was invisible due to recent snowfall. I have a very sore ankle and sore ribs but the good news is that x-rays this morning showed no fractures just ligament and muscle damage. I will be on crutches for awhile so if you see me hobbling around Summerland or elsewhere please stop and say Hi. Merry Christmas and all the best in the New Year to all of you and your families. Cheers……Kilian

Hi Saint Kilian! Thanks for the Christmas and New Year's wishes! Terribly sorry to learn of your nasty accident but relieved that your injuries aren't even more serious. Sounded like a pretty significant collision. All the best for a speedy and full recovery, it goes without saying. Fondestos from Lady Dar. Take care of yourself, St Kilian. Happy Christmas to you and family as well as a Healthy New Year to one and all! Cheers, Patrizzio!
   
Hi Kilian: Get better SOON. AND WISHING ALL THE OLD FARTS A VERY VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS WITH FAMILY AND FRIENDS.........AND AN EVEN BETTER, HEALTHIER AND HAPPY NEW YEAR. Lots of Hugs from Hildi

Hello Hildegard von Bingen! Thanks for the Christmas and New Year's wishes! Trust you are well and not too, too frazzled in the days before Christmas, but rather enjoying the season and its myriad festivities and family gatherings.
Fondestos from Lady Dar. Take care of yourself, von Bingen! Happy Christmas to you and family as well as a Healthy New Year to one and all! Cheers, Patrizzio!


I was told by a reliable source (Mary) that the bearded one (Al) is in the same pickle as Kilian as of yesterday afternoon. Not a great timing indeed! You guys (Kilian and Al), may your recovery be speedy and the mood cheery in spite of your currently precarious situation....and a very merry Christmas to all OFs, GBs and the rest of the avid hikers. Vlado & Anna
 
To all of my OF and SF friends: Merry, Merry Christmas and all the best for a happy healthy New Year. I am missing my hikes with you guys 😥

Murray and I have been traveling since October 21. We spent a month in Vietnam traveling through the north near the China border and a lot of the southern parts. Beautiful country, so lush and green. And delicious food!! Omg!!
Then into Cambodia for 3 weeks...Tasted fresh pepper sprigs for the first time...Wonderful. Laos for 3 weeks - was so much quieter and laid back than Vietnam and Cambodia by far. Very chill; everyone so friendly. We crossed border into Thailand yesterday and will spend a month here. Sailing is a go for mid January. We are meeting the skipper in Krabi ( same guy that Murray sailed with last year) The plan is to sail from there down to Penang. As you know, I am a novice sailor, so wish me luck!


Al and Kilian, speedy recovery!! Cheers everyone!! And a big thank-you to all those wonderful OF's and SF's for passing along those beautiful pictures. Hugs from Sharon 

Hi Marilyn and Big Al! Trust you are both well and not too, too frazzled in the days before Christmas, but rather enjoying the season and its myriad festivities and family gatherings. Thanks for the good wishes. I've passed them on to Ms Tinsel Town and The Lost Burritos, aka Los Horridos! Fondestos from Lady Dar. Happy Christmas to you, Marilyn, and Stanchion Man, as well as to Jesse and Jake, and a Healthy New Year to one and all! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to You! Charlie & Susan Hi O Susannah and Champagne Charlie! Thanks for the lovely Christmas card and wishes! Trust you are both well and not too, too frazzled in the days before Christmas/Hanukkah, but rather enjoying the season with its myriad festivities and family gatherings. Fondestos from Lady Dar. Practice your bidding for our next bridge encounter! Happy Hanukkah, Susannah, Happy Christmas, Carlos, and a Healthy New Year to one and all! Cheers, Patrizzio!

To all of my OF and SF friends: Merry, Merry Christmas and all the best for a happy healthy New Year. I am missing my hikes with you guys 😥 

Murray and I have been traveling since October 21. We spent a month in Vietnam traveling through the north near the China border and a lot of the southern parts. Beautiful country, so lush and green. And delicious food!! Omg!!
Then into Cambodia for 3 weeks...Tasted fresh pepper sprigs for the first time...Wonderful. Laos for 3 weeks - was so much quieter and laid back than Vietnam and Cambodia by far. Very chill; everyone so friendly. We crossed border into Thailand yesterday and will spend a month here. Sailing is a go for mid January. We are meeting the skipper in Krabi ( same guy that Murray sailed with last year) The plan is to sail from there down to Penang. As you know, I am a novice sailor, so wish me luck!


Al and Kilian, speedy recovery!!  Cheers everyone!! And a big thank-you to all those wonderful OF's and SF's for passing along those beautiful pictures. Hugs from Sharon I was told by a reliable source (Mary) that the bearded one (Al) is in the same pickle as Kilian as of yesterday afternoon. Not a great timing indeed! You guys (Kilian and Al), may your recovery be speedy and the mood cheery in spite of your currently precarious situation...........and a very merry Christmas to all OFs, GBs and the rest of the avid hikers. Vlado & Anna
  Pat, It sounds as though you're well on the road to recovery. The 14 day forecast isn't very good but if you're interested in a ride while you are here, give me a shout. Merry Christmas, Ray


Patrick VIFF Volunteer Alumni, Thank you for donating your time and talents to VIFF. It is volunteers like YOU that make this organization possible and my job so rewarding. Wishing you and yours a fantastic Holiday Season filled with friends, family, and film. Best Wishes, Brie Koniczek VIFF Volunteer Engagement Manager










 











No comments:

Post a Comment